Friday, April 17, 2009

Stepping Into Modern Times

Using a nearly expired government coupon card, I had a DTV converter sent to the house. Now keep in mind that I don't NEED one of these devices, as I have cable and watch a fair amount of programming on the computer, but I wanted one just in case and I was curious to know how one works- especially in northern Michigan.

My Channel Master 7000 was an easy install, and cosmetically fits in well with my 25 year old stereo and amp. After a scan of all available channels the local PBS station was the only channel that was strong enough to get picked up. I think I will try a better antenna since the one I have currently is literally a length of wire.

I am impressed with the picture quality and all of the features that the digital signals provide- program guides and schedules, and the added programming capabilities and opportunities of the digital tiers.

While semi-pointless, I now know more about the DTV debacle and if something happens to the cable I and my 20 year old TV will be ready. All for $12.95.

No comments: