Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Tentacles- I Do Not Want Them In A Sandwich


I went over to St. Ignace last week and bought gasoline. This usually isn't a very good beginning to a story, but this day I crossed the ice and filled up the sled with gas. I've never pulled a snowmobile to a gas pump anywhere other than the island, so this was indeed a photo opportunity that was hard to pass up. I have made a few trips over the ice before, but this winter the conditions are really nice and make the trip quite stress free. The idea of a 'trail' is unnecessary since the ice, at least for now, is in remarkable condition and is smooth and thick all the way over. Just point and shoot.
The second image is taken from the parking lot of the Mackinac Grille and shows one of the many jumping off points. Many tourists are coming over to the island via the three and a half mile ice bridge and it shows when you look at the parking lot that was behind me at the time I took the photo. The lot was filled with trucks and snowmobile trailers. The snow and ice has been quite good this year and the visitors like to stop by the island bars and have a beer and a bite to eat. It is funny for me being an Ohio boy seeing a train of sleds, sometimes ten to twenty long, stopping to take photos in front of the Iroquois. What a cold hobby. Fun though. I'll just stick to commuting on one.

No comments: